Friday, November 04, 2011

Snake: Fear factor

Snake gourd


My first experience to touch a live python was two years ago.

It was a four-month-old pet python, the size of a diameter of a finger, owned by a neighbor of a close relative.

I ran the tip of my fingers through the back and belly of the snake. It was unbelievably soft and smooth!

I was snake-phobic before (I still am!) as almost everybody else is; but it was a long-time personal challenge to be able to touch it.

Many opportunities passed and two years ago was another chance.

"Now or never," I told myself.

Finally, I did it!

Speaking of snake, I have a story to tell.

One school day in my senior high, I and my classmate were stationed to guard the back of City High from intruders. It was part of our civilian army training course.

We were guarding the wire fence whole day when we spotted a big-headed, slender-bodied, green baby snake crawling in front of us!

I can't remember if I participated in but the snake was stoned to death!

Fear crawled through our spines when we came to a realization: if there's a baby snake in this place, a mother snake is just around the corner!

It was creepy and more when we thought of eyes of a huge snake looking at us stealthily somewhere on that grassy field beyond the fence!

We were not guarding the fence from illegal entrants anymore -- but from a dark-green anaconda to suddenly appear.

We knew already what to do -- RUNNN!!!

Fear only stopped when school that day was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment